Subject: Re: sam on DEC OSF/1 Alpha?

From: Chris Siebenmann <cks>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1993 19:33:44 -0500

Well, thanks to John Mackin, I now have the problem identified.
Pointers in DEC Alpha OSF/1 are 64 bits (as is 'long'), and the sam to
samterm protocol passes pointers around, lopped to 32 bits. Naturally
this causes problems when samterm gets a lopped pointer back and
attempts to use it.

 Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure of the best way to fix this.
Time to go spelunkering the sources.

	- cks

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1993 20:26:07 -0500

> Time to go spelunkering the sources.

One of the best ways to handle this that I've found is to prototype
all of the functions, then find where integers are being passed as
pointers, and visa-versa.  (ptrs are 64 bits, ints are 32...if you
pass `0' where a pointer is expected, it'll be bogus) Then when you
compile with an ANSIish compiler (use gcc :) ), it'll tell you about
all of the violations.

Brendan

--
Brendan Kehoe                                               [email-masked]
Cygnus Support, Mountain View, CA                              +1 415 903 1400
                     ``In a cruel and imperfect world,'' says critic Rex Reed,
 ``[Audrey Hepburn] was living proof that God could still create perfection.''