Subject: large file in sam?

From: "James A. Robinson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 10:03:40 -0400

>From my reading of Pike's main paper on sam, I got the impression that
sam could handle very large files. I thought it only read in the blocks
being worked on, as it needed access to them.

I find that when I try and open an 80mb text file, I get a message
'write: ?I/O error: "Success"', and no file appears. =(  Anyone know if
this is just a limitation of the sam port to linux?  Or if there is some
way around the problem (other than split(1)!)?

Jim

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
James A. Robinson                       [email-masked]
Stanford University HighWire Press      http://highwire.stanford.edu/
650-723-7294 (W) 650-725-9335 (F)

---

From: Bengt Kleberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 07:19:07 -0400

I have updated sam-9libs to accept the env var TMPDIR. This is slightly better than always using /tmp.
The new sam-9libs is sent to "Mark H. Wilkinson" <[email-masked]>
and will get a place at ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/unix/plan9 when time permits.

Those in a hurry could get their copy by email from me.

Best Wishes, Bengt
===============================================================
Everything aforementioned should be regarded as totally private
opinions, and nothing else. [email-masked]
``His great strength is that he is uncompromising. It would make
him physically ill to think of programming in C++.''