Subject: A fan in Russia

From: Ed Kubaitis - CCSO <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1993 09:27:44 -0500

I received an inquiry about the sam X11 extensions from Dimitri Doronin
of the Research & Production Centre (SAPSAN) in Moscow. "I have sam and
I love it" he says. I told him about sam-fans. Perhaps we'll be hearing
from him.

The thought of a Cyrillic sam put me in mind of something else. The samx
extensions stole the X11 Mod1 modifier (usually Alt) for Samkeys, thus
making the undocumented Latin1 or unicode composition feature unavailable.
I spent some time investigating how to provide alternative access to at
least latin1 composition when Samkeys is used, but couldn't manage to get
them displayed properly even with a vanilla sam. There was always an 'A'
preceding the composed character. Is this a bug, an unfinished project, or
a misunderstanding of the feature/code on my part?

Ed
----------------------------------
Ed Kubaitis ([email-masked])
Computing & Communications Services Office - University of Illinois, Urbana

---

From: Ed Kubaitis - CCSO <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1993 13:05:34 -0500

[email-masked] - writes:
   |sam is already cyrillic (if that's an adjective), as any plan 9 user
   |will tell you.  i question the judgement of the person who broke the
   |ability to input foreign characters and replaced it with racing stripes
   |and streamers on the handlebars.

Guilty of adding racing stripes perhaps, but not of breaking compose.
Composed characters are not displayed properly in the 11/13/92 Unix/X11
sam from att.research.com.