Subject: Re: rc, es, and 9term under Linux? (summary)

From: [email-masked] (Arnold Robbins)
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 1994 11:15:12 -0500

Again, apologies for the triple post. I'll try not to do it again,
except perhaps to announce the availability of the article when it's done.

Thanks to everyone who replied.  The upshot is that rc compiles with
little problem, requiring minor changes to generate the sigmsgs.c file.
es is similar, but this is noted in a comment in the Makefile. 9term
can be made to compile under Linux, but apparently does not work quite
right yet. At least one person is working on it but has not released his
port yet.

For those of you who asked "What is 9wm, and where can I get it?". The
answer is that 9wm is an X11 window manager that completes the sam+9term+rc
picture, emulating the window management policies of 8-1/2 (8½ for you
unicode folks ☺ :-), hiding windows instead of iconifying them, click to
type, thick border on the current window, etc.  As to the second part of
the question, you can't get it, yet. I've been beta-testing it.  It is
due for release REALLY REALLY REALLY SOON NOW, but as I'm not the author,
I can't say when.  (My article has around a two-month lead time before
it's published, so by then 9wm should be out.)

Rob, Bobf, Byron, Paul, Matty, and David, I would like to send you a copy
to review when it's done.  If you're not interested, please let me know.

Thanks,

Arnold Robbins
"What's GNU" columnist for Linux Journal
(Yet Another Alternate Identity)