Subject: a possibly simple question

From: [email-masked] (Arnold Robbins)
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1993 10:15:34 -0400

My long time ed-trained fingers want to type

	s/"\([^"]+\)"/``\1''/g

to pull out stuff between quotes and give them ``-'' quotes.  I will admit
to a weak grasp of the sam command language, but a quick glance at the
doc didn't show anything revealing.  My question is, how do you do this in
sam?

A separate question. 9term has snarfe 0x81 in libXg as a Page-Up key, which
I miss terribly in sam - any chance of that getting added in to the "next"
release?

Much thanks,

Arnold

---

From: Neil Weisenfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1993 10:29:21 -0400

I'm sure that someone out there has a better solution, but if you can train
your ed fingers to forget the backslash before the parenthesis, you've got it
made.  Sam has an s command, too.

With dot set to:

  this is just to say "hello goodbye" to you.

we can do:

  s/"([^"]*)"/``\1''/

and get:

  p
  this is just to say ``hello goodbye'' to you.

Regards,
Neil