Subject: Re: 9menu

From: [email-masked] (Arnold Robbins)
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 10:10:48 -0500

I sent the announcement to sam-fans since that seems to be where most
of the discussion of 9term takes place. I figured 9fans was more for
discussion of the real thing, not faking it under Unix.

As to this:

> To: Sam Fans <[email-masked]>
> Subject: 9menu
> Date: 	Mon, 28 Nov 1994 22:08:29 -0500
> From: Scott Schwartz <[email-masked]>
> 
> As long as we are being 9fans, how about this:
> 
> --- 1.1	1994/11/29 03:02:07
> +++ 9menu.c	1994/11/29 03:02:53
> @@ -228,7 +228,7 @@
>  		return;
>  
>  	close(ConnectionNumber(dpy));
> -	execl("/bin/sh", "sh", "-c", com, NULL);
> +	execl("/bin/rc", "rc", "-c", com, NULL);
>  	_exit(1);
>  }

That's not unreasonable, what I should probably do is fix 9menu to
just use ${SHELL:-/bin/sh}. If I find some spare time I'll probably
do that.  If someone wishes to beat me to it and mail me a patch,
that's fine too.

Arnold

---

From: Scott Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 11:10:27 -0500

| That's not unreasonable, what I should probably do is fix 9menu to
| just use ${SHELL:-/bin/sh}. 

I don't know... Isn't it better to have a definate syntax that 9menu
will use, rather than have it depend on some environment variable?
(Think about makefiles that need SHELL=/bin/sh at the top to get around
some versions of make doing this.)  If anything, a command line option
is better than importing SHELL, I think.