Subject: How does exch work?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 1994 09:59:49 -0500

>From time to time it looks like exch would be useful, but I cannot get
it to work.  My understanding is that I snarf some text in one window,
move to another window with a selected section, hit the exch entry in
menu #2, and the snarf text will replace the highlighted text in the
new window.  Is this correct?  If not, what does it do?

Thanks,
Beirne
-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beirne Konarski                 | Reading maketh a full man, conference a
[email-masked]            | ready man, and writing an exact man.
"Untouched by Scandal"          |       -- Francis Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Neil Weisenfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 1994 10:38:42 -0500

> new window.  Is this correct?  If not, what does it do?

"Exch" exchanges Sam's snarf buffer with that of the window system.  If
you have something snarfed in Sam and then highlight something in an
Xterm (obviously, I'm talking about Sam under X11), then using paste in
Sam will replace dot with what was selected under the Xterm and
clicking to paste in the Xterm will insert what was in Sam's snarf
buffer.

Using "Paste" will replace dot with the contents of the snarf buffer.

--Neil

---

From: Neil Weisenfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 1994 10:46:57 -0500

Don't you wish that you could recall e-mail?  Sorry about the need for a
clarification.

--Neil

In message <[email-masked]>, Neil Weisenfeld write
> Sam will replace dot with what was selected under the Xterm and
     ^^      
     after using exch

> clicking to paste in the Xterm will insert what was in Sam's snarf
                                                    ^^ (before the exch)