Subject: Re: acme for X?

From: [email-masked] (Doug Becker)
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 1994 18:03:56 -0500

Not that Phil's response is in any way lacking (I had no idea of the
port of ALEF to UNIX), but I asked Rob the same question a couple of
weeks ago, and his response was that Acme is "pretty deeply wedded"
to concepts in Plan 9 that have no analog in UNIX.  (This seems fairly
obvious from the various papers.)

I too would love to see some sort of Acme under UNIX (or even Plan 9. :-)
Heck, just the general availability of Acme's ALEF source would be enough
to appease me for a few weeks... :-)

---

From: Scott Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 1994 22:34:20 -0500

Anyone who is interested in acme should take a look at Oberon, the
system that inspired it.  Wirth has written a book and a number of
papers about it.  You can ftp it from neptune.inf.ethz.ch; they have
binaries for sparc and some other systems.

The system runs in an X window and more or less acts like that window
is the screen of a Ceres workstation.  It's a little like running
smalltalk---Oberon is its own user interface, programming language,
and operating system.  

Anyway, the system is amazingly efficient and elegant.  Everyone I've
shown it to has said "Wow.", so go check it out while we're waiting
for the next Plan 9 cd to arrive.