Subject: Re: 9menu

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 12:10:14 -0500

i disagree: the SHELL variable is conventionally just what you want:
an indication of what interactive shell the user desires. the argument
about make is spurious because make's functioning requires a
standard shell; 9menu is for interactive applications, a different
subject entirely.

---

From: Scott Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 20:22:23 -0500

| i disagree: the SHELL variable is conventionally just what you want:
| an indication of what interactive shell the user desires. the argument
| about make is spurious because make's functioning requires a
| standard shell; 9menu is for interactive applications, a different
| subject entirely.

That's the crucial point: is 9menu itself an interactive application,
or is it a tool that that should support a standard syntax?  My
impression is that the latter is the more useful view, because it
permits users to exchange 9menu command lines without depending upon
which interactive shell each of them uses.