Subject: Re: libXg and caps lock on Sun type V keyboard under openwindows

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1993 17:52:49 -0400

>From [email-masked] Wed Jul 21 13:47:07 0400 1993

[I said]
>| As far as I'm concerned this is only a minor irritant -- Caps Lock is
>| pointless anyway in these days of OPERATING SYSTEMS THAT DON'T REQUIRE
>| YOU TO SHOUT -- but I wondered if anyone else had noticed this bug-ette
>| and/or had a fix for it?

>It doesn't show up here, running MIT X11.  

I tried re-linking against MIT X11R4 libraries rather than the Openwindows
ones, with the same result. I guess it's an Openwindows 2 server
``feature''. Sigh. 

>In terms of shouting, if you use MODULA-3, encrusted as it is with
>upper case keywords, caps-lock is about the only alternative (and a
>poor one at that) to a context sensitive editor like emacs.

Hmmm.... I think if I was using sam to edit a language which required upper
case I'd knock together some sort of filter to do the capitalisation and
pipe the file through it before a write... that's what the '|' command is 
there for! Couple of extra keystrokes perhaps (maybe only one if you're
using the keyboard extensions to sam) and it avoids the dreaded emacs...

pete
--
 Peter Fenelon - Research Associate - High Integrity Systems Engineering Group,
 Dept. of Computer Science, University of York, York, Y01 5DD +44 (0)904 433388
 EMAIL: [email-masked] `There's no room for enigmas in built-up areas'