From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 1994 13:13:05 -0500

I have a couple of announcements.

First, we have reorganized our distribution directory
and the location of the sam release has changed.
It can now be found at

	ftp://netlib.att.com/netlib/research/sam.msg.Z

or, equivalently

	ftp netlib.att.com
	cd netlib/research
	get sam.msg.Z

The old release location now contains a pointer to this directory.

Second, a new distribution of sam is now available.  It contains
a couple of minor bug fixes and two changes: scrolling menus
and protocol modifications to support processors with 64-bit
addresses.  Dave Hanson not only removed the 32-bit dependencies
from the protocol but also graciously tested the code after it was
integrated into our master version.  He deserves the thanks of Alpha
owners everywhere.

Although the protocol now accommodates 64-bit addresses, some
alignment dependencies remain.  If you are planning to install
sam on a 64-bit processor, please read the paragraph in the README file
(at approximately line 160) that describes the nature of these
dependencies.  No modifications should be needed for 32-bit processors.

The protocol change makes the new sam incompatible with the
previous version.  This should only make a difference if you do
a `sam -r' to a machine running an incompatible version.  If you are
maintaining sam on several systems, I recommend that you update
all of them simultaneously.  Finally, the protocol works for a remote
sam when one processor is 32-bit and the other is 64-bit.