Subject: libXg and caps lock on Sun type V keyboard under openwindows

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1993 12:11:48 -0400

Not sure which of these lists (9fans or sam-fans) is more appropriate, but
here goes:

Running 9term or samterm under Openwindows (sparcstation elc; type 5
keyboard; openwindows 2; sunos 4.1.1) I find that the Caps Lock key is
interpreted as Shift Lock -- i.e. 123 comes out as !"# and so on. It looks
like a libXg bug to me...

As far as I'm concerned this is only a minor irritant -- Caps Lock is
pointless anyway in these days of OPERATING SYSTEMS THAT DON'T REQUIRE
YOU TO SHOUT -- but I wondered if anyone else had noticed this bug-ette
and/or had a fix for it?

pete
--
Peter Fenelon - Research Associate - High Integrity Systems Engineering Group, 
Dept. of Computer Science, University of York, York, Y01 5DD (+44/0)904 433388
[email-masked] `Today keeps slipping by me, it leaves no aftertaste.'

---

From: Scott Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1993 13:47:07 -0400

| As far as I'm concerned this is only a minor irritant -- Caps Lock is
| pointless anyway in these days of OPERATING SYSTEMS THAT DON'T REQUIRE
| YOU TO SHOUT -- but I wondered if anyone else had noticed this bug-ette
| and/or had a fix for it?

It doesn't show up here, running MIT X11.  

In terms of shouting, if you use MODULA-3, encrusted as it is with
upper case keywords, caps-lock is about the only alternative (and a
poor one at that) to a context sensitive editor like emacs.