Subject: sam + ptys, anyone?

From: [email-masked] (Arnold Robbins)
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 1994 09:37:25 -0500

I hope this idea doesn't strike anyone as too bizarre.

I've been using sam and 9term almost exclusively for about a year now.
In 9term, I often find myself wanting to highlight some text, make a
global substitution on it, or otherwise munge it like I might from the
sam command window, and then paste it back into the intput.

Has anyone looked at what it might take to turn a sam window into one that
can drive a pty?  Sort of a merger of sam & 9term.

This is undoubtedly like emacs with its shell windows (although I've never
used emacs, just read a bit about it), and thus it smacks of creeping
featurism, non-minimalism etc.  On the other hand, it is also a logical
extension of the current ability to manually edit text in a "shell window"
and then resubmit it.

Anyway, this is just sort of strawman to stimulate discussion.  I'm willing
to be convinced it's a bad idea; I'm also willing to be called "brilliant",
"visionary", etc. (:-)

Thanks,

Arnold