Subject: Re: samx2 and sam 3/12/93

From: [email-masked] (Pete Fenelon)
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 1994 05:21:39 -0400

>
>What is samx2 and where can I find it ?

Samx2 is a set of patches which give some keyboard customisation facilities
to sam. The author is at uiuc.edu, but I can't remember the ftp site where
the patch lives; if the worst comes to the worst I could mail you a copy. 

>
>Another question: Has anybody ported sam(term) to Linux? After some tries
>I succeeded in porting, but I'm not familiar with UNIX programming, and
>indeed I really don't know exactly what I've done :-)

Yes -- I have done a working port, but there's still one minor problem with
named pipes that means I have to start sam up in a slightly nonstandard way!
I started from the defines for IRIX -- the Silicon Graphics OS is one of the
closest to POSIX and therefore Linux that I've ever come across -- and fixed
it on that basis.

I think the startup bug is probably due to the interaction of some of the
patches I have in my sam; I'll investigate further. Basically, I have to
chuck a carriage return down the named pipe before Sam will do anything...
however, from then on it's perfect!

pete
--
Peter Fenelon - Research Associate - High Integrity Systems Engineering Group,
Dept. of Computer Science, University of York, York, YO1 5DD (+44/0)904 433388

---

From: "Markus Friedl (CIP 92)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 1994 06:34:38 -0400

> however, from then on it's perfect!

which version of sam are you using ?? i tried the october-93 version (4.1)
(w/o patches) and started from the Solaris Makefiles. all works fine.

cu
--markus

ps: BTW: you may ftp my makefiles from
         ftp://131.188.190.131/pub/unix/sam/Make.linux.shar

-- 
Markus Friedl
[email-masked]

---

From: "Mark C. Chu-Carroll" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 1994 09:01:07 -0400

I also compiled Sam for Linux starting from the Solaris
makefiles. Even with the samx2 extensions, it compiled cleanly, and
works like a charm.

	<MC>