Subject: sam for 95/nt

From: Pete Fenelon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 11:26:39 -0500

In summary -- a lovely piece of work. Just what we've all been waiting for.

One minor caveat, though -- under 95 (don't know about NT) it adopts the
Unix-y (and indeed right-thinking) LF as newline.... which means it's not
ideal for editing Windows text files which use CR/LF -- (A) it shows the CR
half of CR/LF as a CR character and (B) it makes it a tad tricky to use
files produced with Sam with utilities that aren't wise to the rest of the
world's conventions on newline...

I suppose this is the *logically* correct behaviour, but to push Sam as an
editor which the Windows-user community will use, perhaps it should do the
wrong but  *visually* sensible thing :)

Thoughts -- would it be difficult to bodge sam to treat CR/LF as one rune
under Windows?

pete
--
Pete Fenelon, Infocom UK Ltd. [email-masked]

---

From: "Michael K. Rosenberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 10:58:07 -0500

has anyone dealt with this problem? in my opinion, the best
solution would be that sam on nt writes a cr/lf when you hit
return, and does not show the cr character. this makes
the files different from ones created on unix systems, but,
makes them consistent with all other text files and text utilities
on nt, such as printing utilities. i guess this is what pete meant
in his suggestion below.

i'm keeping my fingers crossed that there is a better nt version
of sam out there somewhere....otherwise, i think i'm going to be
stuck with notepad.

mike