From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1992 23:04:40 -0500

trimming the edges of dot in sam is actually pretty easy, especially
using +0 and -0 as addresses.  these move to the nearest end or beginning
of a line.  if you've just double clicked the braces in
	for(;;){
		...
	}
and you want to trim it to the whole lines within, just say
	-0+,+0-
it looks funny but it means something: move the beginning of
dot to the beginning of the previous line, then advance it a line,
ending up at the first line boundary within dot, and symmetrically
for the end of dot.

you may of course include a command, as in
	-0+,+0- x/^	/d
or, what i prefer,
	-0+,+0- s/^	//g
because dot stays put.  when you're learning this stuff, though,
don't use a command: just try the address to see what gets selected.

another trick: adjusting to the null string at the beginning or end
of dot using +#0 and -#0, an exercise i leave to the reader.

since this is my first message to this group, i should take the
opportunity to say how encouraged i am by the attention sam seems
to have acquired and delight at how creatively people seem to be
using it.  also, i would like to make an announcement that
the public release of sam would not and could not have happened
without the generous and able assistance of bob flandrena, who
did all the work of making the plan 9 sam (the only one i use)
portable to the many flavors of unix out there.

-rob pike

---

From: Scott Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1992 22:19:44 -0500

| since this is my first message to this group, i should take the
| opportunity to say how encouraged i am by the attention sam seems
| to have acquired and delight at how creatively people seem to be
| using it. 

Thanks, Rob and Bob, for giving us the chance to play with it.