Subject: latest sam

From: Arnold Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1993 14:58:03 -0400

FYI, I was a pretester of the latest sam & 9term.  Before blindly patching in
the previous sets of patches, it would pay to note two things.

1) A ``page-up'' key is now suppoted in both samterm and 9term, supplied to
   the app from libXg as 0x81.  I helped graft the one major line from Ed's
   samx patches into samterm. (This is the biggest win for me personally.)

2) Sam, samterm, and 9term all now do full Unicode/UTF.  I *think* this
   obsoletes the latin1 part of Ed's samx patches.

The other things (scrolling menus etc) haven't changed, so I'm not saying
that the patches aren't needed, just that two big things aren't needed
anymore...

(I'm also one of the people who keeps getting hit w/the protocol bug. sigh.)

It's a lot of fun to type alt-1-2 and get B= (b:)  [ Install the unicode fonts
and then look at this note (and pray no high bits get stripped) ].

Arnold

---

From: Scott Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1993 15:13:38 -0400

| 1) A ``page-up'' key is now suppoted in both samterm and 9term, supplied to
|    the app from libXg as 0x81.  I helped graft the one major line from Ed's
|    samx patches into samterm. (This is the biggest win for me personally.)

Yes, it is nice.
 
| 2) Sam, samterm, and 9term all now do full Unicode/UTF.  

One thing to watch out for is editing iso-8859-1 files, which sam will
now mutate, since they typically contain invalid utf.  For a fun time,
snarf the tcs stuff from research and look at the test files.
I tried to collect people who could read all of them. :-)

| It's a lot of fun to type alt-1-2 and get B= (b:)  [ Install the unicode fonts
| and then look at this note (and pray no high bits get stripped) ].

Well, they did.  (My mailer is 8 bit clean, so someone else's must have done it.)
You can also use the compose key (Multi_key in X-speak) if you have one,
like this... ½:)