Subject: sam or tk bug?

From: Castor Fu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 12:30:40 -0500

I've started using sam on RS 6000's recently and have been getting
the following error relatively often (3 times in the past two days):

	Xlib:  sequence lost (0x10006 > 0xfcb) in reply type 0x0!
	X Error of failed request:  0
	  Major opcode of failed request:  0 ()
	  Serial number of failed request:  6
	  Current serial number in output stream:  4043

Then samterm exits.  Has anyone seen this before?

I think this might be connected with a Tk tool which I hacked together.
It provides some of the functionality of emacs's M-x compile, by
searching the results of a 'make' for errors, and sending in sam
commands through the named pipe.  It also has hooks for the AT&T Toolchest
'cscope' program, to provide source browsing capability.

To make it more useful, it would be nice to have easier X selection
features in 'sam'.  I think there were some chording patches a while back.
Maybe those would be most appropriate?  I guess I'll have to dig through the
archives.

	-castor

---

From: "DaviD W. Sanderson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 13:21:51 -0500

Castor Fu <[email-masked]> wrote:
# I've started using sam on RS 6000's recently and have been getting
# the following error relatively often (3 times in the past two days):
# 
# 	Xlib:  sequence lost (0x10006 > 0xfcb) in reply type 0x0!

This is probably a bug in your X server.  We encountered it when we
upgraded to AIX 3.2.5.  There is a patch available from IBM.  Here is an
extract of some instructions we sent our customers:

	McIDAS-X sites using IBM RISC System/6000 workstations running
	AIX version 3.2.5 may elect to apply the IBM Program Temporary
	Fix (PTF) U425811 or U424375 to lpp package X11rte.obj.1.2.3.
	The lpp correction package U425811 replaces package U424375.
	[...] Users may see the problem at random intervals.  When it
	occurs, an error message similar to the one shown below is
	displayed.

 	Xlib:  sequence lost (0x10000 > 0x103) in reply type 0x0!

You can tell if you have the U425811 or U424375 PTF installed by doing

	lslpp -h -c | egrep 'U425811|U424375'

It should print out something like

/usr/lib/objrepos:X11rte.obj:U425811:01.02.0003.0000:COMPLETE:APPLY:07/14/94:08;31;11:root
/etc/objrepos:X11rte.obj:U425811:01.02.0003.0000:COMPLETE:APPLY:07/14/94:08;37;37:root

DaviD W. Sanderson                                    [email-masked]
Space Science and Engineering Center    University of Wisconsin-Madison
"The Noah Webster of smileys"    - The Wall Street Journal, 15 Sep 1992