From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1993 09:58:31 -0400

a new distribution of sam is available in dist/sam/bundle.Z
from research.att.com.

simultaneously, 9term, the X11 emulation of an 8-1/2 window, is available
via anonymous ftp in directory /matty/unicode at cs.su.oz.au.
included in the 9term distribution are a font conversion program and
several unicode fonts usable in sam and 9term.  as a convenience,
a copy of the same sam bundle available at research.att.com is
also available here.

this release of sam adopts the unicode font support added to
libXg at the university of sydney.  the distribution source tree
has been reorganized to easily accommodate 9term and any other
program using libXg and libframe.  many bugs have been fixed,
but other than the X11 unicode font support, there is no new functionality.

changes to 9term include support for additional architectures and much
improved pseudo-tty handling.

the documentation has been cleaned up in both packages.

comments and complaints about the 9term distribution should be directed
to [email-masked].

comments and complaints about sam, libframe, or libXg should be
directed to [email-masked].

the README file contains information about tcs, a publicly available
unix utility written by Andrew Hume, which converts input from one
user-specified character set to output in another user-specified
character set.  it is useful for converting files in a variety of
standard encodings to UTF, the input encoding accepted by libXg.

there is a known bug in sam that is devilishly difficult to reproduce.
it happens occasionally during routine editing operations and results
in a protocol lock-up (indicted by parentheses in the button 2 menu)
and the cursor being off-by-one character in the window being edited.
if this bug bites you and you are able to reproduce it or provide
a detailed description of your editing actions, please notify bobf.

we would like to acknowledge the help of Ed Kubaitis, Scott Scwartz,
Arnold Robbins and Chris Siebenmann who endured the beta-test of
this software.

Matty Farrow
[email-masked].

Bob Flandrena
[email-masked]