Subject: X11R6?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 22:02:21 -0500

Greetings.  I've been wondering if X11R6 has enough new stuff / performance
enhancements to be worth the switch?  I have a Sun IPC (low end sparc) at
home with X11R5 fully patched (NOT OpenWindoze), and the performance is OK.

Is R6 worth the trouble to get, compile overnight, rebuild sam/9term/9wm,
and in general switch?  I have the latest gcc, if that makes a difference
in the performance.

Thanks,

Arnold

---

From: Scott Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 1995 02:30:21 -0500

| Greetings.  I've been wondering if X11R6 has enough new stuff / performance
| enhancements to be worth the switch?  

It's definately bigger and not noticably faster.

The most concrete advantages are that the fonts are somewhat nicer and
the font server works a little better, and it supports the Sun type 5
keyboard properly.  (Properly means all the keys have keysyms bound,
and there are keysyms like SunXK_VideoLowerBrightness to go with the
new keys.)

| Is R6 worth the trouble to get, compile overnight, rebuild sam/9term/9wm,
| and in general switch?  

How bored are you feeling? :-)