Subject: 'original' libXg and 24 bpp, follow up

From: Bengt Kleberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 02:22:15 -0500

greetings,

after the good news about the original sams libXg working on 24 bpp, i
tried it. both to get a working sam, and in the hope of perhaps finding
out why.

'test' did not work for me.

'rdcolmap bitmap too deep'

anything in particular i need to do? (apart from modifying 'test.c' and
'Make.solaris' to get 'test' to compile)

PS: does anybody have the url to wily? wily-fans produced no response...

---

From: "James A. Robinson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 03:25:10 -0500

> 'rdcolmap bitmap too deep'

After including "u.h" to fix a problem with a missing def for Rune,
test in the libXg directory compiled for me, and ran up to the test of
arc. At that point it bailed with the same error as you reported. The
problem appears to be that rdcolmap handles only up to 256 colors (it's
hard coded as a magic number).  If it detects more than that, it bails.

I just went into xtbinit.c commented out the 'return;' statement after
the color depth check in rdcolmap. Test ran for me after that, though
the inversion test doesn't do the right thing.

I guess I'm curious about samterm itself -- since it doesn't use color
I'm thinking the above doesn't matter much in terms of it's impact.

A message I dug up from the wily list:

    Date:    Wed, 22 Nov 1995 12:57:40 EST
    To:      [email-masked]
    From:    Chris Siebenmann <[email-masked]>
    Subject: Re: wily doesn't seem to like 24-bit TrueColor 

    ...
    A friend fixed this (in sam) and has given me some patches I need to
    integrate. The core problem is that libXg assumes that the framebuffer
    depth is equal to the number of colour bits; '24-bit' colour in my
    X server is actually 32 bits deep, breaking this. The solution is
    apparently fairly simple -- just stop libXg assuming this in the few
    places where it matters.
    ...

> PS: does anybody have the url to wily? wily-fans produced no response...

The url for the editor is now at http://www.cs.yorku.ca/~oz/wily/,
[email-masked] is the email address for the list.

Jim