Subject: 9term/9wm hacks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 16:41:53 -0400

>Subject: 9wm/9term cmdpipes
>X-Face: Iqsa(US9p?)Y^W+6Ff[Z]<t?\A!eaL'DG{20*#{C1;'Ct&}L}B^/1(aYI@hP)4!<}7D=2gm
>	8!$T`8QNfK<te\20%A\`wm*wa2"^Up*Qs"X}KeV*3XeB2te&sKp*t`N;^BDh[6=K{ZBE=O>rM"uFE)
>	lFDjag1e]\/#2
>Content-Type: text
>Content-Length: 30278
>	8!$T`8QNfK<te\20%A\`wm*wa2"^Up*Qs"X}KeV*3XeB2te&sKp*t`N;^BDh[6=K{ZBE=O>rM"uFE)
>	lFDjag1e]\/#2
>
>A while ago, I mentioned some hacks I'd done to 9term to add a
>command pipe, like sam's. Rich $alz commented that 9wm could do
>with something similar, and I couldn't resist. This is the
>result, including patches for both 9term and 9wm. There are
>probably bugs, but they work ok for me. :-) A README file
>is included.
>
>Steve

I've loaded the patches to both 9term & 9wm on an RS/6000 running AIX
3.2.5.  9term worked fine, but I had trouble with 9wm.  I lost the
ability to use the mouse to anything but bring up the root menu or a
9menu.  The mouse would not work for scrolling, selecting text, or
bringing up a window.  I had to write to the pipe to bring up an xterm
so I could exit.  I otherwise like the idea, though, and am not
complaining.  I think I'll use the 9term pipe to see if I can work elm
from a 9menu.

Thanks,
Beirne

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beirne Konarski                 | Reading maketh a full man, conference a
[email-masked]            | ready man, and writing an exact man.
"Untouched by Scandal"          |       -- Francis Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve_Kilbane)
Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 04:18:42 -0400

> From: [email-masked]
> bringing up a window.

Interesting. I suspect the either the select() or FIFO handling, since
they seem like areas AIX could be broken in, but since I've never used
AIX I can't comment. select() seems the most likely, since if there
was a FIFO problem it would probably hang completely. Does anyone
with more AIX experience have any pointers?

steve