Subject: Re: 9term sttys

From: [email-masked] (Steve_Kilbane)
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1993 09:07:49 -0500

>   I have somewhat similar problems on SunOS 4.1.3 with the new utf version
> of 9term. For some reason the slave pseudo tty does not return anything when
> queried by tcgetattr. Especially ICANON and ECHO appear not to be set.
> Thus I cannot use the suspend mode, which is my main motivation for using
> 9term.

hmm. are you rlogged into another machine when this happens, or is that always
the case?  when you rlogin to another machine 9term's pty goes into raw mode,
and suspend is not allowed then (you get round this by rlogging in, then
running 9term on the remote machine with DISPLAY set).

of course, if you're using plan9 mode on a unix box, things might not work
as you expect anyway. i'd stick to unix mode all the time if i were you.

> Another problem I encounter happens when I switch to unix mode. Characters
> will only appear in chunks of 4. I type three characters and nothing happens 
> and when I type the fourth all four characters appear. I have not looked
> into the utf character handling, but I suspect it has something to do with
> that. Sometimes 9term will just die when I switch between unix and plan9
> modes.

could be due to your terminal settings. here's what i use...

speed 9600 baud, 23 rows, 90 columns
parenb -parodd cs7 -cstopb -hupcl cread -clocal -crtscts 
-ignbrk brkint ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl -iuclc 
ixon -ixany -ixoff imaxbel 
isig iexten icanon -xcase echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -tostop 
echoctl -echoprt echoke 
opost -olcuc -onlcr -ocrnl -onocr onlret -ofill -ofdel -tabs 
erase  kill   werase rprnt  flush  lnext  susp   intr   quit   stop   eof
^?     ^U     ^W     ^R     ^O     ^V     ^Z/^Y  ^C     ^\     ^S/^Q  ^D     

hope this helps.

steve

---

From: Chris Siebenmann <cks>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1993 16:44:57 -0500

| of course, if you're using plan9 mode on a unix box, things might not work
| as you expect anyway. i'd stick to unix mode all the time if i were you.

 I haven't had any particular problems with plan 9 mode on our Unix
machines; switching to unix mode unfortunately loses a bunch of neat
features.

	- cks