Subject: Auto-raise in samterm

From: rob <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1993 22:12:20 -0400

Well, I just got my hands on sam (I've known about it for 1.5 years but
I didn't know where to get it), and I'm pretty happy with it.  I'm using
it on a SPARC 1+ under X11R5.  I've applied the samx patch.

Anyway, one thing I really didn't like about samterm was the
click-to-type business.  I really hate that.  So I came up with a little
patch that eliminates click-to-type, which I have included below.

rob

----- cut here -----
*** virgin/samterm/main.c	Thu Jul  1 20:35:04 1993
--- samterm/main.c	Tue Jun 29 22:11:32 1993
***************
*** 101,106 ****
--- 146,153 ----
  					scroll(which, fwdbut == 3 ? 3 : 1);
  				else
  					menu3hit();
+ 			}else if(nwhich && nwhich!=which){
+ 				current(nwhich);
  			}
  			mouseunblock();
  		}
----- cut here -----

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1993 22:37:51 -0400

oh my god!

---

From: Chris Siebenmann <cks>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1993 17:49:44 -0400

For all the vituperation so far, it's worth remembering that sam's
click-to-focus policy was created on a system where click-to-focus
was the overall focus policy as well (to use X terminology). It may
well make sense to switch to mouse-based focusing inside sam if your
X window manager also uses mouse-based focusing.

	- cks

---

From: John (Most modern computers would break if you stood on them) Mackin <john@ civil.su.oz.au>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1993 11:19:48 -0400

Chris points out:

Did anyone _forget_ that?  There's another alternative, of course.  You
can throw out your hideous real-estate-driven window manager and use one
that implements click-to-focus, the One True Focus Policy.  I know _I_
did.  (Hell, I wonder why my X terminal behaves so much like a Blit
running mux... must be _some_ reason...)

OK,
John.